Friday, April 24, 2015

Review: A Scandal in Bohemia + The Red-Headed League

Sherlock Holmes: The Ultimate Collection (4 Novels, 44 Short Stories, and Exclusive Bonus Features)The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes 
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Classics, Mystery

A Scandal in Bohemia:
Holmes is hired by the King of Bohemia to recover blackmail evidence, held by the woman whom the king once promised to marry, but who he abandoned for a woman of noble birth.

The Redheaded League:
Holmes is engaged upon two seemingly unrelated cases, a daring bank robbery and the disappearance of a pawnbroker's assistant. Using minute details of the small mystery, he is able to solve the larger one. 

Although it is EXTREMELY difficult for me to choose, my favorite episode of BBC's Sherlock is A Scandal in Belgravia. Therefore, I was looking forward to reading the story it was based on very, very much.

Indeed, it was my favorite Holmes story thus far. However, I don't think that means much as I've only read four(: 

Unlike the SH novels I had read before (A Study in Scarlet and The Sign of Four), these stories are part of the The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes collection, and are MUCH shorter and faster-paced. Naturally, this means they were funner to read. 

In Scandal, it was really enjoyable to see Holmes upstaged by a common woman. Irene Adler was new, ridiculously intriguing and of course, as smart as Sherlock himself(; However, she is not a main a character and as totally badass as she is on the TV show, which was admittedly a bit of a let-down. 

The Red-Headed League had such an amusing premise that I was smiling right off the bat, and I had NO IDEA where the story was going. HOW THE HECK Conan Doyle came up with these crazy mysteries is beyond me.

I had a lot of fun reading these. They were quick and easy, and I highly recommend them! Rating:

Happy weekend! What are you reading?
Esty

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi and thanks for your comment! I absolutely love hearing from you- it makes the whole blogging experience worth it:)

If you have a blog leave me your link and I'll try to return the favor <3