Friday, April 18, 2014

Review: United We Spy

United We Spy (Gallagher Girls, #6)United We Spy (Gallagher Girls #6 and last)
Ally Carter
YA contemporary, esponiage

Spoilers for the whole series- proceed only if you've read them ALL.

Cammie Morgan has lost her father and her memory, but in the heart-pounding conclusion to the best-selling Gallagher Girls series, she finds her greatest mission yet. Cammie and her friends finally know why the terrorist organization called the Circle of Cavan has been hunting her. Now the spy girls and Zach must track down the Circle’s elite members to stop them before they implement a master plan that will change Cammie—and her country—forever.

You can read my review of GG5 - Out of Sight, Out of Time here.

I looooove the Gallagher Girls- in fact, I'm kinda planning to do a tribute post one of these days. Equally girly and action-packed, it's a rare series that has more friendship than romance and that actually has kick-ass girls but doesn't feel the need to tell us that - ahem, TMI girls. 

The Bad:

But for the first time I didn't completely buy everything in an installment of this series... in fact, I spent the first bit in utter frustration.

In the beginning, Cammie and her friends go to London to hunt down a member of the Circle's leaders- at the exact second the Circle's splinter group tries to kill him.

A little in, Macey decides to go with her roommates and extricate Preston from Rome with  the adults' utter refusal and without said adults' knowledge. Turns out that's also when Abby and Townsend had the same idea, as did the Circle's splinter group. 

While all these made for good drama and action, there were just too many coincidences that were not believable. Come on, Preston's been living there for months and you all decide to get him in the same hour? 

My other problem with this novel is that I finished it with more questions than I started. First of all, how is it that we don't know of anyone in this splinter group besides Catherine? And why does she even WANT to rebel within the Circle? Did she or did she not really love Zach, that she tried to save him in book 4 but here wanted to kill herself? And in the end, in the final showdown at the Gallagher Academy... why is it she didn't have friends when she was there? What made her so bitter she had to burn the place to the ground? HOW AND WHEN THE HELL DID SHE AND TOWNSEND HAVE ZACH??????

Four words: Not. Enough. Joe. Solomon.

The Good(e):

I absolutely ADORED how all the couples were just couples, lovingly fighting crime together. It's just so frustrating when after books and books of the couple finally getting together they continue to fight and have problems when there are bigger things happening around them (once again TMI, I'm looking at you). Authors, cut them a break once in awhile! Anyway, I liked how that was not the case here.

Two words: Zachary Goode (:

Okay so call me crazy, but you know how I said in my review of GG5 that a scene reminded me of Harry Potter? So in this one, A LOT reminded me of Harry Potter. The whole we're-ditching-our-last-year-at-school-to-save-the-world thing sound familiar? Everything commencing in an epic battle at the school where it all started? It was quite wonderful for me. Yes, #IheartHarryPotter. 

LIZ. Did I not say in my aforementioned review of book 5 how I thought it was a problem Liz didn't get the attention she deserves? So I am happy to announce Liz finally got her long awaited spotlight. You go, girl. I always knew she'd play a major role. 

And of course, just the overall fun and sassiness and feminism I've come to associate with the Gallagher Girls. I love how the series is moved along by everyone's distinct and BIG personalities, not just reactions to obstacles thrown their way. 

Now all that's left is to be sad it's over. Alas, the Finished Favorite Series Syndrome. (Oooh that's good. I'll call it FFSS for short).
Rating: 4 stars (this is the first time I've rated any of Ally's books less than 5)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi and thanks for your comment! I absolutely love hearing from you- it makes the whole blogging experience worth it:)

If you have a blog leave me your link and I'll try to return the favor <3