Friday, April 25, 2014

Review: The Little Prince

The Little PrinceThe Little Prince

 Katherine Woods
Classic

Moral allegory and spiritual autobiography, The Little Prince is the most translated book in the French language. With a timeless charm it tells the story of a little boy who leaves the safety of his own tiny planet to travel the universe, learning the vagaries of adult behaviour through a series of extraordinary encounters. His personal odyssey culminates in a voyage to Earth and further adventures

Hello, lit class reading. Yeah I've been doing a lot of that lately. We had spring break so I'm catching up. Anyhoo, I have just read for said class The Little Prince for the second time, but I'm reviewing it because the first time I was in elementary school and I didn't remember a word from then.

I must say,  I actually liked it a little bit. I was only in class for the discussion of the first part, so naturally that was the part I understood the most- the baobab trees thing. Those tree start as sprouts like any other, but must be recognized for what they are early on and pulled from the root to prevent them from destroying the planet. It's a metaphor for human qualities - things like pride and jealousy start small and look harmless, but if they're left unattended they take over the person. 

What I loved most about the book was the dedication- the author apologizes to children for dedicating it to an adult, and then takes it back and dedicates it to that person when he was a child. The whole theme of the book is how as people grow up their minds become closed and they busy themselves with supposed 'matters of consequence', but lose sight of what's really important. In My Sister's Keeper Jodi Picoult says something like that too, about how growing up is just the process of the mind slowly being sewed shut.

There was a lot that went over my head though - I think it was the love theme with the fox and the rose... oh well. I guess I'll have to show up to Lit class now(: I'm not going to bother giving it a star rating- it's just not one of those books that you like or dislike, it just is. 

Have a great weekend!! And last chance to enter my giveaway- please do, it means a lot(: Top tab^^^^
Love,
Esty

3 comments:

  1. pretty nice blog, following :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how even the dedication is mentioned in your review that's awesome! I have never read this book believe it or not. It was never part of my curriculum but I do have it on my shelf it being a classic and all. I def should give it a try!

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for your comment! I absolutely love hearing from you- it makes the whole blogging experience worth it:)

If you have a blog leave me your link and I'll try to return the favor <3