Saturday, February 22, 2014

Book to Movie Review: Vampire Academy

Vampire Academy, Blood Sisters.jpeg
Vampire Academy
Book by Rachelle Mead
Fantasy 

Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir, half human/vampire, guardians of the Moroi, peaceful, mortal vampires living discretely within our world. Her legacy is to protect the Moroi from bloodthirsty, immortal Vampires, the Strigoi. This is her story.

As usual, horrible description, IMDb. Whatever. Great series of books, very recommended. 

I came into the theatre with VERY low expectations. Critics always say movies like these have a built-in fanbase, but that's not true. They have a built-in turnout to the opening weekend, but we book lovers tend to come out kvetching about why didn't they show this scene?? And reassuring our non-book lover friends that don't worry, in the book it didn't end like that. Or UGH THATS SO STUPID IN THE BOOK IT WAS LIKE THIS. (*cue coughing fit* Percy Jackson) 

The trailer looked like a big joke to me. Naturally, I came to the movie with much trepidition. And was greeted with much hilarity.

Thankfully, the people working on this film realized that if they took themselves too seriously, they would become a Twilight knock-off and the subject to much eye-rolling. So they decided to do just the opposite.

Picture Mean Girls. Now add in magical vampires and action scenes. Congratulations, you now have an idea of what Vampire Academy looked like. It was freaking BRILLIANT. My friends and I were laughing the whole time- and as soon as we got home, began quoting the whole thing on Facebook. For the life of me I can't understand why all the official places gave the movie bad reviews- I loved it and I was book-lover biased!! As for the actors:

*Dmitri comes on*
Friends and I: "What? He's too old."
*Progressively gets hotter*
*some point mid-movie*
"DIBS!!!!" 

So unfortunately, one friend called dibs on Christian, the other on Dmitri.
But not to worry.
I called Adrian.
#PerksOfHavingReadTheBooks
#TheyDon'tEvenKnowWhoHeIsYet
#TheyWillRegretThisWhenWeGetToFrostbite

Everyone played their parts really well, and I liked the CGI too. Only nitpicks I have are Lissa's monologue in the end ("Blood is family. Blood is sustenance. Only if we stand together can we overcome. HUH) and the part when she's compelling everyone to make her popular again. It's didn't really fit in with everything going on before and after. Whatevs. 

Whether or not we get a movie adaptation of Frostbite depends on how well this movie does. So I implore you, GO WATCH THIS MOVIE. YOU WILL THANK ME. 
Rating:

1 comment:

  1. "*Progressively gets hotter*" BAHAHA SO TRUE. Ohmygosh. I really disliked him at first but yep, he definitely grows on you xD Good call on taking Adrian ;)

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for your comment! I absolutely love hearing from you- it makes the whole blogging experience worth it:)

If you have a blog leave me your link and I'll try to return the favor <3