Sunday, December 15, 2013

Review: The Recruit

Mission 1: The Recruit (Cherub)The Recruit (Cherub Mission #1)
Robert Muchamore
Middle grade spy novel

CHERUB agents are highly trained, extremely talented--and all under the age of seventeen. For official purposes, these agents do not exist. They are sent out on missions to spy on terrorists, hack into crucial documents, and gather intel on global threats--all without gadgets or weapons. It is an exceptionally dangerous job, but these agents have one crucial advantage: adults never suspect that teens are spying on them. James is the latest CHERUB recruit. He's a bit of a troublemaker, but he's also brilliant. And CHERUB needs him. James has no idea what to expect, but he's out of options. Before he can start in the field he must first survive one hundred grueling days of basic training, where even the toughest recruits don't make it to the end....

I have wanted to read this series ever since the great Rick Riordan recommended it on his blog. Even more so when I started working at a bookstore and saw how fast they fly off the shelves. So finally I did. And let me tell you, IT WAS WORTH EVERY SECOND I SPENT ON IT. 

Fast-paced, twists and turns at every corner, smart, badass characters who are all like 12 YEARS OLD all in one book basically equals gold. Not to mention a world I was just SALIVATING to live in. I mean, a top-secret, hi-tech training facility filled with like 150 super spy kids who kick butt and flirt. Notice the multiple uses of the words 'like' and 'just'. Can you tell I'm fangirling?? 

The book follows the tragic circumstances that bring James to CHERUB, his days at basic training, and then his first mission. In the begininng you even get a taste of a kid on his way to the streets- for a novel being sold to 12 year olds, I didn't realize it would have that kind of a dark aspect. Surprised, I actually thought it added to story- made it realistic and relatable, not to mention more appealing for an older audience. 

All that aside, THIS BOOK WAS FREAKING HYSTERICAL. I had this big goofy smile most of the time and actually lol'ed a couple of times. Pure awesome. 

Basically? Pick it up right now. I'm pretty sure this CHERUB is climbing it's way up there to my list of All Time Best Series. Can't wait to get my hands on book 2!! Rating:

Love,
Esty


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi and thanks for your comment! I absolutely love hearing from you- it makes the whole blogging experience worth it:)

If you have a blog leave me your link and I'll try to return the favor <3