Saturday, September 21, 2013

Review: Bossypants by Tina Fey

Bossypants
Tina Fey
Nonfiction, autobiography

Before Liz Lemon, before "Weekend Update," before "Sarah Palin," Tina Fey was just a young girl with a dream: a recurring stress dream that she was being chased through a local airport by her middle-school gym teacher. She also had a dream that one day she would be a comedian on TV.

She has seen both these dreams come true.

At last, Tina Fey's story can be told. From her youthful days as a vicious nerd to her tour of duty on Saturday Night Live; from her passionately halfhearted pursuit of physical beauty to her life as a mother eating things off the floor; from her one-sided college romance to her nearly fatal honeymoon -- from the beginning of this paragraph to this final sentence.

Tina Fey reveals all, and proves what we've all suspected: you're no one until someone calls you bossy.

(Includes Special, Never-Before-Solicited Opinions on Breastfeeding, Princesses, Photoshop, the Electoral Process, and Italian Rum Cake!)


In general, this is not a book I would have picked up myself. Why? For the simple reason that I never watched anything with her in it. DON'T FREAK. I've heard of her. My mom likes her. But believe it or not, my generation doesn't watch SNL or 30 Rock.  Also, I don't live in the USA. 

So why did I read it anyway? A friend of mine who's a little older than me lent it to me a loooong time ago. It's been sitting in my TBR for like a year. And there's nothing I hate more than a book procrastinating on my shelf unread. So I read it. 

Eh. I've read the reviews and everyone thought it was hilarious. So did my friend. But what can I say, I just didn't get a lot of the jokes. And what I did get just wasn't that funny. However, I did find her story inspiring. In college you never would have known she'd make it big, by her description she actually sounded like a total loser. I liked her tale of the road to fame and the obstacles, motherhood, successes and failures. Also, the pictures in the book helped to illustrate her point. 

Title and cover comments: She uses the word bossy once in the beginning, therefore I thought it wasn't that great a title. Cover: ditto. What's the connection to the man's arms? Never explained. 

Rating: Ehhh.


Sorry again about my seriously spaced out posts! Still no internet at home, so blogging only when I have a computer at my dad's office... Not to worry! Should be taken care of next week. *puts hands together in prayer* have a great week!
Esty

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi and thanks for your comment! I absolutely love hearing from you- it makes the whole blogging experience worth it:)

If you have a blog leave me your link and I'll try to return the favor <3