Monday, July 29, 2013

I am back! with a Review: The Fault in Our Stars

I am back, people- I had an amazing month and hope you did too! I am now accepting review requests and taking emails/tweets/social whatever as usual:)


The Fault in Our Stars
John Green
Contemporary YA, "Cancer Book"

Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

If you get around in the book world, you've heard of this one. And in one sentence- EVERY BIT OF THE HYPE WAS MORE THAN JUSTIFIED. TFioS was one of the most sensational, touching, sensitive, funny, realistic, sad, TRUE, heartwarming, and overall emotion-inspiring novels I've ever read.

The writing: John Green, everyone in the world is dust at your feet. I've always said this.

The plot: speechless. And I thought Looking for Alaska and Paper Towns (the only other JG books I've read) were epic. He outdid himself. I just never knew what was going to happen next, but when things did happen, they made total sense. (that was coherent, right?)

The characters: three words- AUGUSTUS FREAKING WATERS. You think Will Herondale has the most beautiful, hilarious, insightful, make-every-female-on-the-planet-faint lines? Think again. Augustus Waters could make Einstein swoon. I would quote you the best ones, but I would just have to attach a pdf file of the whole book because, yes, EVERY SINGLE WORD IN THAT BOOK SHOULD BE QUOTED. Especially Even the word 'okay'.

The end: I can't talk about it. The tears. (not necessarily sad ones though...)

Whom I'd recommend it to: EVERYONE over the age of like 12. Yes, even those no-it's-a-cancer-book people. The Fault in Our Stars is not a cancer book. It's not about death, it's about life. I couldn't stop thinking about it for a few days, and when I shoved it under my sister's nose until she read it she came to me freaking out after. Also, not in a bad way. This book won't depress you, it will make you think. It's the kinda book I will take everywhere and make everyone read, the kind I myself will reread every year or so. It is the kind of book that as soon as I finished it, I flipped back to the beginning. The kind you can't read in public because you laugh so hard you snort. Or because you cry so hard you sob.

Basically? BOUNCE TO THE TOP OF YOUR TBR. I promise, you won't regret it.
Rating:


Have a great day and stay tuned for my Summer of Standalones check-in, two book tours, and tons more reviews planned for August!
Love,
Esty

2 comments:

  1. AUGUSTUS WATERS! Will, Augustus, Will, Augustus?! Why did you do this to me, John Green! And your writing *sobs*

    (You almost had the same thoughts as me O.o. Are you me secret fraternal twin? Welcome back btw!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great to know this one lives up to the hype, I have an ebook copy of it but I am putting off reading it because I know it is going to be sad!

    Alise @ Readers in Wonderland

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for your comment! I absolutely love hearing from you- it makes the whole blogging experience worth it:)

If you have a blog leave me your link and I'll try to return the favor <3