Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday- tough subjects




Hey guys! Long time no blog:) I've been super busy with school, holidays, dance, and my birthday. (By the way- I share it with the most badass heroine in YA history- KATNISS EVERDEEN. Go May 8th) Anyway, back to do some list-making! This week's TTT hosted by The Broke and Bookish topic is top ten books dealing with tough subjects. I'm sure we'll see a lot of the same ones but here we go!

1. Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

2. Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson - this one was brilliant.

3. North of Beautiful by Justina Chen Headley - deals with the underrated verbal abuse and more. 

4. My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

5. Looking for Alaska by John Green- there's a slew of tough issues in there, God knows which one was the main point. It would also make my list of top ten most beautiful books.

6. Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

7. The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen- the most in-detail description of the Nazi concentration camps I've read. I was little when I read it, so maybe it's not as horrifying as I remember it, but it  seared my heart and mind.

8. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak- there are hundreds of amazing Holocaust books. You can see my post on them here.

9. Desert Flower by Waris Dirie- the traumatizing TRUE STORY of this Somali model before she became one. You might not want to give this to a kid... 

10. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie- this books deals with hard and true issues, in a light and teen friendly way. You could even give it to a kid if he/she is a,  you know, knowledgeable kid. 

There are some a few more that I'm planning to read soon, like Dreamland by Sarah Dessen and Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chobsky. 
So what's on your list? 
And despite the theme, have a happy Tuesday:)
Esty

  

12 comments:

  1. All you have to do is say some of these titles and I remember how painfully honest they are. YA is so often stark. I wonder why that is.

    Here's my list of top ten books that deal with tough subjects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Picks! A few of these I've never heard of, so thanks for sharing.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier. New follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Sisters Keeper & Thirteen Reasons Why were both amazing! Have you seen the movie for My Sisters Keeper?
    I really need to read The Book Thief and Wintergirls, I've seen a lot of great reviews for them.
    Great list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did see the movie, and was so disappointed! They changed the whole point!
      And you totally should pick up those books, they were incredible:)

      Delete
  4. Definitely agree with this list! I've also got Perks of Being a Wallflower on my TBR soon list. I've got a copy of it sat at home, just need the time :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read about half of these and I agree -- they're some good books about very tough issues. Issue novels can be so hard to read, but I always get something out of them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Still getting to "Looking for Alaska" and "Thirteen Reasons Why", but other than that, I love your list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww My Sister's Keeper! I forgot about that one because I read it so long ago but that was a dark book. Great list!

    CeCe @ Steaming Mug of Books

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Book Thief is close on my TBR pile, I plan to start it very soon. :)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  9. 13 Reasons Why made my list too, but I haven't read any of the others on your list.

    My TTT
    Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great list!
    http://www.nobentspines.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for your comment! I absolutely love hearing from you- it makes the whole blogging experience worth it:)

If you have a blog leave me your link and I'll try to return the favor <3