Monday, April 1, 2013

Review: The Host

The Host.jpg
The Host 
Stephenie Meyer
Dyastopia/Sci Fi

Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. The earth has been invaded by a species that take over the minds of human hosts while leaving their bodies intact. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, didn't expect to find its former tenant refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

As Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of Jared, a human who still lives in hiding, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she's never met. Reluctant allies, Wanderer and Melanie set off to search for the man they both love.

Featuring one of the most unusual love triangles in literature, THE HOST is a riveting and unforgettable novel about the persistence of love and the essence of what it means to be human.


Hi all. Sorry I haven't been around much this week- it's been a holiday so celebrations and vacation.  But of course I found time to read and have just finished this AMAZING  but monstrosity of a book (in a good way. I just mean it's huge:)). 

First of all, let me start off and say that even if you HATED Twilight you HAVE to give this book a chance.  Because while yes, Bella is a pain in the butt,  Stephenie Meyer more than makes up for her with  not one but TWO  courageous and selfless heroines. Both Melanie and Wanderer majorly impressed me with their acceptance and eventually friendship of one another, their ability to love deeply but not unreasonably, the things they both did and were willing to do for their family and loved ones. 

Another thing that this had going for it was the originality. Aside from the Lorien Legacies (which I adore)  this is the only YA book featuring alien invasion of Earth in recent years (at least that I know of. If you have more, tell me!) and it was so different from anything out there- I had no idea what to expect as the plot progressed. Also, the souls weren't trying to destroy Earth,  rather experience it,  which gave the story a whole new direction.

As for the Stephenie Meyer staple- the love triangle. I am happy to announce this was nothing less than A LOVE-FREAKING-RECTANGLE.  It wasn't that simple.  But there were four people in three bodies who all loved each other and it wasn't always requited. Now I know what you're thinking. This could have been a literary catastrophe.  But who better than Stephenie Meyer, who invented the mother of all love triangles,  to tackle this? It was GENIUS.  I loved it.  It caused some heartache, but I am glad to say I wasn't sure of who loves who and how it was going to turn out until passed halfway. And even then,  I couldn't be sure of the ending until I got there.  ( A VERY GOOD THING)

Which brings me to my last point. The ending.  I'm happy to say I couldn't predict it until Wanderer herself decided upon it, and even then, the epilogue came with a mostly surprising twist. I say 'mostly' because I had a hunch something like that was going to happen, but wasn't sure and there was no foreshadowing in which to back myself up. You see, I always feel that authors have a signature way they like to end books and have yet to come across an author who has two drastically different endings (I'm talking about final endings.  As in, the end of a series or standalone novel), so according to my belief, something like that should happen. But it was skillfully hidden and if not for that notion that is my personal opinion (which proved to be right in this case!) I would never have called it out.  Grade: 95%

1 comment:

  1. Great review. I actually have this book and it is definitely on my TBR list. Ever since I found out about the movie, I thought I should really read this book. Great to read such a fantastic review, it's made me really excited to read the book!
    Melissa,
    Book Nerd & Critic.
    http://book-nerdandcritic.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for your comment! I absolutely love hearing from you- it makes the whole blogging experience worth it:)

If you have a blog leave me your link and I'll try to return the favor <3